As new parents you have a long list of baby essentials you need to prepare before your little one arrives. You research the products that your child will be using to make sure it is safe and comfortable. You read many reviews like our "Best Rated Crib Mattress Buying Guide" to find the safest crib mattress and to see what parents are buying. We made it easy for you and researched the best mattress for newborn.
Safety is your #1 priority when it comes to your children. When choosing the best crib you want something sturdy and safe. Once you have selected a crib, the next thing on your list is choosing the best rated crib mattress to buy. Newborn babies tend to sleep between 14 to 17 hours a day. Your newborn will be sleeping 70% of the time during the first year. It will be a lot of sleeping for the 1st 5 years of a child’s life so it is crucial that you buy the best mattress for newborn.
As parents we want to provide our kids with the best that money can buy. Some parents are on a budget but are still looking for the safest crib mattress - so we have researched different price range for the best rated crib mattress on the market.
When buying a crib mattress these are things to consider.
Check out this guide Best Rated Crib Mattress Buying Guide - Best Mattress for Newborn
- Choose a firm mattress that is made for infants. The firmer the better. A very firm mattress might feel uncomfortable to parents but your baby will adjust to it. Plus, it is safer when your baby starts rolling onto his or her stomach. Per Consumer Product Safety Commission, parents should not lay their baby on the adult mattress or any soft surface to sleep. It is a hazard to your baby due to suffocation that could lead to Sudden Infant Death. A good mattress does not only promote a comfortable sleeping area but it will also support your baby's over all development and well being. A mattress can grow with your baby. There are double sided mattresses where one side is firm for newborn and when you flip the mattress a softer side for a toddler.
- The crib mattress should fit snugly in the crib. To check put your 2 fingers between the side of the mattress and the crib frame. If the gap is more than 2 fingers it is not the right crib mattress size. It is a hazard that could lead to suffocation and entrapment. The Federal government regulates the size for all standard crib mattresses via the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA).The minimum size is 27 1/4 inch x 51 5/8 inch with a thickness not exceeding 6 inches.
- Choose a crib mattress that is waterproof or buy a waterproof mattress protector. When the mattress gets wet it is easy for mold to grow. Mold grows in areas where you can’t see it and it would be dangerous for your baby. Many crib mattresses are waterproof with vinyl or polyethylene surface. If your mattress is not waterproof make sure to purchase a waterproof mattress protector.
- A mattress should have holes on the side for air flow. These are vent holes for odors to escape and it will keep the mattress smelling fresh all the time. If money is not an issue find the best breathable crib mattress.
- If you can afford to buy a new mattress it is safer for your baby. Because of the dangers associated with mold and bacteria, you don’t know the history of a used mattress. You could be saving money with a used mattress but in the long run you are putting your child in danger so invest in a new one.
- If you can afford a mattress made with organic materials it is best for your baby’s health. This is usually made of 100% cotton with no harmful chemicals or allergen. It is the most expensive of all types of mattresses. Foam mattresses are made of different materials. The traditional polyurethane could be harmful to your child especially if baby is prone to allergies.
- Make sure that the crib mattress you are purchasing conforms to all safety standards of the US Consumer Product Safety Commission for your baby's protection.
For a full crib description, customer reviews and "Pros" and "Cons" for each crib mattress click this link Best Baby Crib Mattress Review - Safest Crib Mattress on the market.
|Mattress||Price||Type||Waterproof Cover||Dimension||GreenGuard Gold Certified||Made in|
|Dream On Me Foam Pack and Play Mattress||$||Vinyl 10%/ Foam 90%||waterproof cover||37.5" x 25.5" x 3"||No - 16-CFR 1633||USA|
|Dream On Me 3" Playard Mattress, White||$||Vinyl 10%/ Foam 90%||waterproof cover||37.5" x 25.5" x 3"||No||USA|
|Dream On Me, 3" inner spring Carina Collection Pack N Play Mattress||$||Vinyl 10%/ Foam 90%||waterproof cover||37.5" x 25.5" x 3"||No||USA|
|Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress||$$||Foam||waterproof cover||52.5 x 27.5 x 5.5 inches||Yes||USA|
|My First Premium Memory Foam Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress with Plush Removable Waterproof Cover||$$||Polyurethane Memory Foam||waterproof cover||51-5/8" x 27-1/4" x 5"||CertiPUR-US certified|
|Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Infant/Toddler Crib Mattress - Hypoallergenic Soy Foam, Extra Firm, Durable Waterproof Cover, Lightweight, Air Quality Certified Foam, 52"x28"||$$||High Density Soybean Foam||waterproof cover||52 x 28 x 5 inches inches||Yes||USA|
|Simmons Kids Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Ultra Deluxe 2 n 1 Crib and Toddler Mattress, Neutral||$$$||231 Pocketed Coil Spring||waterproof cover||52” x 27.5” x <6”||Yes & CertiPUR-US||USA|
|Sealy Cotton Cozy Rest 2-Stage Infant/Toddler Crib Mattress -204 Premium Coils, Luxurious Cotton Cover, Waterproof, Allergy Barrier, Firmer Infant Side, Secure Edges, 52"x28"||$$$||Premium Steel Coils||waterproof cover||52 x 28 x 5.75 inches||Yes||USA|
|Colgate Eco Classica III Dual firmness Eco-Friendlier Crib mattress, Organic Cotton Cover||$$$||Lightweight Foam||waterproof cover||51.7 x 27.5 x 6 inches||GreenGuard Standard||USA|
|Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Sleep Surface Crib Mattress||$$$||Plant Base Foam||waterproof cover||51.63x27.25x5.5||Yes||USA|
|Naturepedic No Compromise Organic Cotton Classic 150 Seamless Dual Firmness Crib Mattress||$$$||100% Organic Cotton & 150 Coils||waterproof cover||27.75" x 52" x 6"||Yes||USA|
|Newton Wovenaire Crib Mattress: 100% Breathable and Washable. Beyond Organic- the safest, cleanest & most comfortable sleep for your baby, Cloud White||$$$||90% air & 10% Food Grade Polymer||52” x 28” x 5.5”||Yes||USA|